Carrick (Pittsburgh), PA
Employment / Job Creation / Availability
Business & Microenterprise
Specialized Skills Development
Marriages / Counselling
Parenting, Mothers / Fathers / Children
Domestic Abuse Support
Baby & Child Care
Availability of Support Systems
Sense of Unity / Community
Mother / Baby
Significant Spiritual Conversations with Not-Yet Believers
Small Groups Studying Scripture with Unchurched (Like Discovery Bible Studies)
Mentoring and/or Personal Discipleship
Follow/Obey Jesus through Huddles or Other Small Groups
THIS COMMUNITY IS ONE OF OUR SPONSORED COMMUNITIES click to learn more
Once home to many of Pittsburgh's wealthiest residents and prominent mansions, the Carrick neighborhood faces overwhelming challenges. Poverty, limited English skills, despair, violence, and heroin addiction are realities no one can deny. In 2008, many Bhutanese-Nepalis began to move into the neighborhood which has now become the epicenter for our city's 12,000 Nepali residents. Most Nepalis are Hindu and have not heard the Gospel explained to them in a way they can understand. Despite all these challenges, our community is beginning to see the rumblings of transformation with a newly renovated library, several Nepali business
Our team lives in the heart of the neighborhood and is doing all we can to be a catalyst and bring community transformation. Through the establishment of Love Carrick, a neighborhood house church network, we are becoming a launch pad for multiplying disciples that will lead to community-wide engagement and renewal.
Love Carrick is a neighborhood church we are creating that will become a spring board for community transformation. We will have several house churches that meet weekly, come together monthly as a large group, and join together as a body once a quarter for a community project.
As Love Carrick evolves, these are some of the ways we hope to be a launch pad into the community:
- House Churches: English and Nepali speaking house churches will be established throughout the neighborhood which multiply disciples and engage in holistic ministry.
- Love Carrick Youth: A house church for high school and college aged students will bring students together to discuss practical age-relevant issues and be involved in community outreach.
- Community Houses: People on our team as well as those from the community will open their homes for those in difficult circumstances to stay temporarily as well as simply living together as they demonstrate Kingdom hospitality.
- Urban Ministry Internship: Through Love Carrick, a 10 month ministry training program will be developed and students will be required to live and work in the community. Upon completion, graduates will be given the opportunity to live in Carrick long-term becoming an integral part of our work.
- Disciples will be multiplied through the house church network, Bible discovery groups, and mentoring relationships.
- Love Carrick will mobilize people to serve as volunteers in local schools, the public library, and in children/youth ministry for under-resourced churches in the area.
- Love Carrick will be a missions sending church with a focus on the unreached in Nepali-dense populations in the US Mid-Atlantic region and Nepal.
The dream before us is that we will lead a movement that blesses and encourages unity and collaboration in Carrick and ensures that every single person, every single pocket of the neighborhood has access to food, freedom, and forgiveness. May each church, each business, each school, and neighbors from diverse backgrounds be able to shout, "We. Love. Carrick!"
CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT INTEGRATED COMMUNITY TRANSFORMATION
INTEGRATED COMMUNITY TRANSFORMATION
When we enter a community, we seek to relate to and understand the community through the eyes of Jesus. This includes pre-training and ongoing on-field research.
EVALUATE and ENGAGE
We repeat a collaborative cycle that aims to work alongside others in the community to identify and assess both needs and resources. Alongside the community, we encourage initiatives guided by a strategy and help implement them.
As transformation takes hold in a community our role changes. We avoid creating unhealthy dependencies and focus on what Jesus is doing within the community. This typically leads to expansion as transformation impacts surrounding communities.
Love Carrick Neighborhood Church Start-Up
Urban Ministry Internship Program (ICT focused)
Pittsburgh and several cities throughout the Mid-Atlantic region are home to thousands of Nepalis with few signs of the transformation of Jesus. Large portions of Nepal remain untouched with the Gospel. The need for workers is immense and we believe the solution to that problem is to develop an internship program to train and release qualified leaders who serve the Nepali community well.