Center for Community Transformation
- Turn your passion into experience -
What could it look like to blend organic, disciple-making with asset-based community development in a sustainable way that transforms communities? That is the heart of Integrated Community Transformation (ICT)!
The Center for Community Transformation is a 40-week practical learning experience that combines principles of disciple-making and community development, along with leadership training, to equip participants to lead movements of ICT in communities around the world.
What is the Center for Community Transformation?
Who can benefit?
Anyone who believes in the inseparable nature of Jesus' discipling and compassionate work, and would like to gain skills necessary to engage a community in their own transformation.
- Recent university graduates seeking opportunity for medium- to long-term community-based, holistic cross-cultural work.
- Mid-career or retired professionals seeking to transition into full- or part-time cross-cultural opportunities where they can more effectively utilize their knowledge and skills toward community transformation.
- Those already extensively involved in community & cross-cultural work, who wish to explore a more integrated and sustainably impactful approach toward community transformation.
PRIMARY LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- Enhanced understanding and internalization of Integrated Community Transformation (ICT) and related core principles with respect to discipleship and development.
- Gain practical experience with strategic approaches and tools that can be used in facilitating ICT.
- Acquire experience in serving a local community organization – building relationally, gaining grassroots experience and perspective, and practicing ICT skills in order to enhance their programmatic scope, sustainability and impact.
- Develop understanding of specific topics addressed in ICT, and how they are integrated and mutually influential with respect to needs, strengths, interventions and impact.
- Form relationships with local community and church leaders, and (where applicable) explore opportunities for potentially serving as an ITeams Community Transformation Director.
TRAINING CURRICULUM CONTENT:
- Personal growth: self-awareness, healthy spiritual practices, living and working cross-culturally, and listening to God and others within communities.
- Core principles of Integrated Community Transformation (ICT).
- Practical development/discipleship tools and approaches for facilitating ICT.
- Promotion of business and entrepreneurship as an integral part of ICT.
- The Community Transformation Director's ”general contractor” role in facilitating ICT – including leadership, team building and mobilization of local and external resources.
- Enhanced understanding and integration of specific issues of focus in ICT – including Food (physical needs), Freedom (psychological and life opportunity needs) and Forgiveness (spiritual needs).
- Enhanced understanding of priority issues faced and approaches used in the context of South African townships and rural settlements.
- Practical internships with local community-based organizations and participation in regional leaders' network gatherings – with culmination in written/oral presentation.
- Become acquainted with the culture and history of South Africa.
- Live and grow in a community of fellow practitioners and local leaders.
- Several group outings as well as free times are included, so you can explore the area.
- You are encouraged to invite friends and family to our closing graduation ceremony in December.